Crochet with Kath: Spring Slouchy Hat
Extended stitches are a great way to make long, loose stitches, ideal for a cosy fabric. With a ribbed cuff, this richly-textured beanie is the perfect accessory for chilly spring mornings and bad hair days!
Raised stitches really elevate the humble beanie hat into something special. The simple repeat of working trebles around the front of the previous stitch, then around the back of the next stitch create the raised ‘ribbing’, and the extended treble and double treble stitches are quick to make.
YOU WILL NEED:-
- MillaMia Naturally Soft Aran (50g/80m, 100% Wool) 2 balls of Stone 202
- 5mm Hook
- RICO Faux Fur pompom
ABBREVIATIONS:- BLO back loop only; BPtr Back post treble; Ch chain; EXdtr extended double treble; EXtr extended treble; FLO front loop only; FPtr Front post treble; Tr treble
HOW TO MAKE THE HAT:-
- To begin, make 70ch (longer if you are making a larger hat- make sure you make an even number of chain) and join with ss to make a loop. Make a foundation round by making 3ch (which counts as 1tr), 1tr in each ch around, join with ss to 3rd of 3-ch. 70 tr.
- For round 1, make 1ch, FPtr in 3-ch, BP in next tr, (FPtr in next st, BPtr in next st) 34 times, join with ss to first FPtr. 70 sts
- Rounds 2 to 5 all following the same pattern. Make 1ch, (FPtr in next st, BPtr in next st) 35 times, join with ss to first FPtr.
- For the next round, you’ll be making extended trebles, so make 3ch to count as the first treble. To make your first EXtr, take the yarn over the hook (yoh), insert the hook into the next st, yoh and draw a loop through the stitch so that you have three loops on your hook.
- Take yoh and draw it through the first loop. You’ve made a chain with the first loop.
- Now take yoh, draw it through 2 loops twice to finish the stitch.
- Make 1EXtr in each stitch around, then join the round with a slip stitch. Turn the piece inside out so that the wrong side is facing- this has now become your right side!
- Make 4ch to begin round 7– this counts as 1 double treble. You’ll now be working this round is EXdtr- take the yoh twice, then slide the hook through the back loop only (BLO).
- Now repeat the action for step 5- then take yoh, draw through 2 loops three times.
- Make an EXdtr in each st around, then join with a slip stitch (ss), then TURN to work back along the row of stitches.
- Round 8 is another EXtr round- so with wrong side facing, make 3ch, then make 1EXtr in the front loop only (FLO) of each stitch around. Join the round with a ss then turn.
- Repeat rounds 7 and 8 four more times.
- For the final round, make 3ch, then double treble 2 stitches together (dtr2tog) 34 times, make an open dtr then ss to the third of the 3-ch. Fasten off, leaving a long tail end.
- Thread the tail end onto a yarn needle, then insert the hook under both loops of the stitches, alternating from front to back, then through back to front to gather the stitches and close the hat.
- Stitch on your fur pompom then pop on, and admire!