Party Tassel Earrings – Free Tutorial!
For some extra razzle-dazzle this party season, Christine Leech shows us how to craft Party Tassel Earrings. Just follow these easy steps for these fabulous show-stoppers!
It’s hard to avoid tassel earrings in the shops at the moment – they seem to be everywhere. But the tassel is one of the easiest things to make and perfect for using up your yarn stash. Here I’ve used a glitzy shimmering blue by Anchor called Turquoise and a silky green from DMC.
You will need:
– A piece of cardboard measuring 3 x 5in (8 x 12cm)
– Two different coloured yarns
– Needle and scissors
– Two wooden beads approx 1/2″ (1.5cm) diameter – look for ones with large holes or alternatively drill your own as I have here)
– Two earring hooks and two jump rings
– Jewellery pliers helpful too!
- Take the sparkly yarn and wrap it around the shorter side of the cardboard. Wrap about 30 times – the more you wrap the chunkier the tassel so its up to you have big you want to go!
- Use a piece of the DMC yarn approximately 25cm long, thread it between the yarn and the piece of cardboard then tie a tight double knot.
- Remove from the cardboard and trim the looped end so all the threads hang free.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with the Anchor yarn but this time wrap around the longer side of the cardboard.
- Thread the strands of yarn you used to tie the knots on the first tassel onto the need and then thread through the bead. Hopefully you will be able to pull the tassel up into the bead a bit to hide the top.
- Unthread the needle and then rethread it onto the second tassel. Thread this through the bead as well. This one probably won’t go into the bead but the top will be hidden by the other tassel.
- Take the two threads and tie one jump ring on tightly so it sits at the top of the bead. Use the needle to sew the two threads back down through the bead and into the tassel. Thus hiding the raw ends.
- If you need to use the jewellery pliers to open the jump ring then loop one earring finding onto the ring and close tightly.
- Repeat steps 1-8 to make another earring.