Published on November 22nd, 2016 |
by Kath Webber
Looking for a last-minute gift idea? Kath Webber’s shawlette is hooked up in a jiffy, and with an easily-memorable pattern and just a couple of balls of DK yarn it’s a perfect go-anywhere project.
This pattern is a perfect beginner’s shawl project- using just chains, double crochet and trebles, the pattern is simple to follow and easy to memorise- a perfect travel or TV project! It works up quickly, and it easily customisable- ditch the fringing and add a solid edge with trebles or keep it simple for a quick gift that doesn’t need blocking.
YOU WILL NEED:
• Paintbox Cotton DK (100% Cotton, 50g/125m) 3 x 430 Grass Green (the shawl requires less than 2 balls, but buy extra for a fringed version)
• 4.5mm/size G Hook
Abbreviations: – ch chain; dc double crochet; tr treble crochet
1. For row 1, Make 6ch, then work 1tr into the first ch made. Turn to work back along the row.
2. To begin row 2, Make 6ch, 1dc into the ch space.
3. Make 3ch, then make 1tr into the 3rd of the 6-ch. Turn.
4. Row 3 sets the pattern for each subsequent row. Make 6ch, then 1dc into the first ch sp.
5. Make 5ch, then 1dc into the next ch sp, and for the stitch in each row, make 3ch, then 1tr into the 3rd of the 6-ch on the previous row. Turn.
6. Repeat row 3 as follows: 6ch, 1dc into next ch sp, (5ch, 1dc into next ch sp) across to last ch sp, 3ch, 1tr into 3rd of 3-ch.
7. Repeat step 6 – there will be even increases at the beginning of each row.
8. Repeat until there are 55 rows in total, then fasten off, leaving a 10cm tail. You see the basic mesh pattern emerging quickly with this pattern!
9. For the fringing, cut two lengths of yarn approx. 20cm each. Fold in half and insert the hook into the first corner st of the side of the triangle.
10. Use the hook to catch the ‘fold’ in the yarn and pull it back through the stitch.
11. Pull the ends of the yarn through the loop, and pull with fingers to tighten.
12. Repeat Steps 9 to 11 on every other row end, trimming to size once each side is complete.