How to make a tapestry crochet zipper pouch
Get back to school and learn some new crochet skills with Kath Webber’s welcoming zippered pouch- the perfect purse, pencil case or crochet kit bag.
You will need:
- MillaMia Naturally Soft Cotton (100% Cotton, 50g/165m) 1 ball each of Seaweed (350) and Tomato (332)
- 3mm Hook
- 7”/17.5cm coordinating zip and thread
- Optional- 4mm grid paper, pencil and washi tape.
Measurements: finished pouch measures 16.5cm x 13cm
Tension: 25sts over 28 rows to measure 10cm x 10cm (4” x 4”)
How to make the Pouch:
Sketch your design on 4mm grid paper, and refine using each square to represent one stitch. Alternatively, you can download the prepared chart from Kath Webber’s pattern page here.
Using Tomato (MC), make 43ch to begin.
Step 1. 1dc into 2nd ch from hook, 1dc into each ch across. Turn. [42 sts]
Steps 2-5. 1ch (does not count as st), 1dc into each st across. Turn. [42 sts]
Steps 6-34. Follow chart for colour changes, using dc throughout.
Make another in the reverse colourway.
How to work the colour changes:
1. Crochet until the stitch BEFORE your colour change. While making the dc before the colour change, work the stitch as follows: Insert hook into stitch, yrh, draw back through stitch (two loops on hook).
2. Pick up the contrasting colour (CC) with your yarn hand. Pull though two loops on hook.
Pull tail of MC quite tightly to secure.
3. Do not fasten off MC, carry them through parallel to the row below and crochet over them.
4. Continue in CC, changing colour as per the chart using the above method.
5. Continue carrying the CC to the end of the row, turn,
6. 1ch, continue carrying yarn along to first colour change, following the chart.
TOP TIP: Use a strip of washi tape to underline the current row to help indicate the colour changes
Open the zip and pin the top edge of each side. Machine stitch or hand-sew the bag pieces to the zip. Using a large-eyed, sharp tapestry or darning needle, hand-stitch the pouch. With WS together match the stitches and row ends and over sew evenly around the edge.